Sunday, November 14, 2010

People love parks

Parks. I thought I’d better mention local parks before the horrible, windy winter arrives... Spending time in parks and on the boulevard is beyond doubt the most loved activity in Baku. No matter what time of the day or the evening you go there, there are always people sitting around, strolling though, men playing nard (Azeri backgammon), boys playing football or girls chatting away. Evenings are particularly busy. Parents let their offspring run free until midnight or maybe even beyond, I can’t really say as I am normally in bed by then. It’s a truly adorable experience to watch these people enjoying each other’s company, drinking tea, eating popcorn and laughing at my trainers and J’s shorts.











Pics by J and me.

4 comments:

  1. Hello again:) I am curious how is the weather in Azerbaijan and espacially in Bbaku these days. Cause in some pictures it looks like much more warmer in comparison with Europe. Or maybe there are some older pictures from summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey :)
    It's about 15C in Baku. Still quite warm and sunny. But yes, I used some old photos ;) Azerbaijan has got 9 climatic zones, so the weather is quite different depending where you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating to see the city through the lens of your camera. I never realised that Baku (or at least the centre of it) is so prosperous. Enjoyed the promotion for vegetarianism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a shame I didn't have time to go into some of the suburbs further away from the centre, because I reckon I could get pictures that would turn you vegetarian right away ;) As to the city centre, a lot has changed in the last few years. I'll write about it soon! If you want to see some pics from less prosperous surroundings of the city centre go to some of the older posts: 'Baku by J' and 'First impressions'. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete